Monday, May 14, 2007

a little thing called culture



In the past couple of weeks, after noticing that my weekly culture qoitient was being fullfilled by Little People, Big World, I decided to be a little more proactive. Actually thats not true, SD and LA invited me out for fun stuff and I said "OK"*. Last weekend SD and I went to The Rubin Museum, which had a free Friday evening admission! I must admit, when I looked into the museum, I was surprised to find SD had chosen a Himilayian art museum, but when we walked into the low-lit, groovey lounge at the entrance to the museum, I saw that this was a museum I could grow to love, one where you could see the art with a lychee mojito in hand! Its a really impressive space, combining many different mediums of art collectively. I definitly recommend this as a Friday night outting!**

Then this Thursday LA and I teamed up to hit another UNC alumn evening*** going to see some chapel thrill bands that were at the Mercury Lounge. Long story short, we had a lovely dinner, followed by approximately 30 minutes being pounded by soundwaves of music three shades harder than our usual tunes, searching the "crowd" for any sign of tar heels. On the upside, we heard some great tunes at Oliva on the way to the train.

This Friday, was the ultimate in "culture". SD and I went toRomeo and Juliet! I dont think I had seen a ballet performance in 8 years (barring BK in Nutcracker about 5 years ago). I bought along one of TS's telescopes and was surprised by the amount of expression on the dancers' faces. The group dancing was impressive, as was Sterling Hyltin's twirling/twisting/leg thing (I honestly could not tell which was a left or right leg). However, I dont think ballet is for me; my mind kept going off track, wondering how old the dancers were, what their feet looked like, and how I needed to loose weight . . . probably not fair to poor Juliet and her Romeo.
In an effort to continue my cultural awareness, TS and I will be visiting an exotic land in about a month; I will be sure to keep you posted about our adventures in Detroit!

*like my grandma and dad before me

** I do not however recommend following this serene and slightly buzzed evning with dinner at Cafeteria, while I believe it was mentioned in Sex and the City, thrilling the newbie NYer in me, it was RE-diculously loud, and dark. Yes, I am 29 going on 63, I live it and love it.

*** last year the alumni harbor cruise drinks and apps evening turned out to be $6 bottles of Bud on a water taxi. boo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home