Monday, June 04, 2007

only in nyc?


The other night, when many of my friends were down on the jersey shore or at neighborhood barbeques, I was getting off work, picking up some wonton wraps at the corner Chinatown market and some parmesan cheese two blocks away in Little Italy. While I couldnt join everyone else in their memorial weekend fun, I could, at the very least, take my hand at a new recipe, one that included making my own ravioli.* I'm not sure if anyone has tried this, but the recipe made it sound easy, just saute some minced mushrooms and shallots, then plop a bit on the pasta wrap, fold and crimp closed and boil for 2 min. The first three steps were easy. Its the crimping bit that didnt work. No matter how much force, or water, or cornstarch TS and I smooshed, the ends refused to merge into one piece.
Just as I was about to get frustrated, I heard an odd beat break into the Avril Lavigne (sp?) on the radio, turning it down, we were treated to a live (and loud) Mariachi band across the street. We believe there was a wedding (although no bride or groom was seen)** The band proceeded to play for about half an hour, long enough for us to finish making and eat dinner. This treat to the ears definitly made the dinner, the pasta tasted like mushroom glue.
*the picture is of mushroom ravioli, which is what I made, with a parm-chive white sauce, but trust me, my end product looked NOTHING like above.
** although in retrospect, perhaps a confirmation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home